Wednesday, November 13, 2019

this is hard

After our last seminar discussion, I was left with a hole in my brain. Of course, I know what I'm doing in my head but speaking about it was harder to do. I have come to the conclusion that through all of my research I have been making work that is being related to how we try to perceive someone's identity simply by looking at their face. As humans, we have many different sides to ourselves including the ones that we don't particularly like. Our psyche likes to hide and suppress the parts that we deme unholy or unattractive. The goal of my work is to relate to this idea that we hide parts of ourselves but at the same time, we are very revealing in that we project ourselves unknowingly onto others. The work I have created so far has a theme of revealing and hiding.

It has taken some time for me to reach this conclusion because I've been making a lot of work with no explanation, I've been making work that seems inconsistent with my explanations because I haven't been stopping to review my work and figure out the recurring theme.

revealing and hiding, inside and outside
The face is always associated with the soul as if it can show someone's innermost self, but the only person that can is is themselves. People assume they know you.

No comments:

Post a Comment