Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Process Book & Google Form Responses

I spent most of the day working on my process book, which is now almost fully set up. I'm planning to send it to Lulu late next week so it will be here in time. I'm making a 'December - Next Steps' page to fill in the gap since I can't wait too long to order it. Here's some in progress spreads though :)






I also created an anonymous google form to see what people had to say about their cycles and periods. I've gotten a few responses already! Here's some samples:

"Once I took too many of my birth control pills at once. I literally overdosed on hormones. My body tore itself apart before it was ready as an act of rebellion. I bled for a week straight in the middle of my cycle. Heavy and dark and the pain never ceasing. I spent two days in my bed not being able to move. I felt like I was dying. I thought I was. Now, I fear that I caused permanent damage and I’m too scared to go to the doctor and find out."

"My “cycle” doesn’t exist. Rather, it comes when it wants and sticks around for however long it wants. 3 months of bleeding? Sucks a lot. One week? Wow a normal time frame. 6 months? I’m dying."

"While the symptoms can be awful, I do appreciate the reset of my body. It forces me to eat better, sleep more, and let go of emotions."

"Right before it starts I get wicked emotional and exhausted. Mine usually last 32-34 days, with 6-7 days of period. First day is mild, second day has the worst cramps, the rest of the time it's pretty much symptomless and low flow."


Even though its anonymous, I'm kind of surprised at how open people are writing to me. I'm really happy about it. So I was thinking, "How do these responses fit in with the 28 prints I was going to make?" Well honestly, they really don't. I'm not sure what I expected people to write, but now that I have people telling me these experiences I feel like I want to do it justice. Slapping them on next to a print out of 28 just doesn't feel right for some reason. I'm wondering, what if I take the responses I receive and make a vulva print in response to each one? Each response deserves a unique print for each unique experience. For example, someone who responded with having awful, mind numbing period symptoms would get a much more chaotic print than a response where someone experiences very mild symptoms. It can still take form of a book, but is more individualized instead of seeming stale.

If anyone here feels they have a response they'd like to share, the link is here: https://forms.gle/UEEJcJoQ3PTkLm9YA

1 comment:

  1. a longer "book," able in some way to express the varieties of cycles, periods?

    with attention (as you're already considering) to variation in color and form of the vagina image.

    wonder about whether each experience should get its "unique print" that somehow would illustrate it. maybe becomes a kind of caricature? also, experiences may (probably do) change over time... so let relationship of images and experience be more fluid, loose?

    ReplyDelete